Adventures in Ecuador

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Happier Thanksgiving!

So we ended up having a fantastic Thanksgiving dinner with friends here in Loja...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes loaded with cream and butter, apple pie, and of course, a Chandi cheesecake! The next day we headed to a waterpark about an hour away and enjoyed a lovely day in the sun. Yes, Mom, I wore sunscreen, though I have the best tan ever for late November!! Nothing like going down a waterslide instead of fighting mall traffic.

And, I have a new addiction...mangoes. They´re in season here, so they´re cheap and SUPER yummy. And, it hasn´t rained in a couple of weeks, which means the dirt and dust are CRAZY. So, I´m covered in a layer of filth, and there´s no water because it hasn´t rained. Lovely.

I have managed to lead two semi-successful cake-baking classes with mom´s groups, which is cool. Yesterday we made a chocolate cake that didn´t want to leave the pan, and had a weird consistency (too much sugar, I think), and a carrot cake. Today we made strawberry cake and they learned how to decorate a cake on a chocolate cake I had made (to make sure my recipe wasn´t wacked, which it wasn´t). Friday I´ll lead another group with chocolate cake. Good thing I walk 10 miles a day or I´d be gaining weight like crazy! (well, tal vez not...we do share each cake with about 40 people!). Tomorrow we´re making Christmas decorations. I´m not sure how I became the expert in any of these things, but it´s fun working with the moms and teaching them new things. They were quite fascinated with my measuring spoons and cups...I don´t think any of them had ever seen them before, ratherless used them.

I think my first series of post-Christmas charlas will be about how to walk on a sidewalk without making others angry who may happen to want to walk faster than 1 mile per hour (i.e. gringos). It translates to their driving, too...as if I´m supposed to be able to know that the giant truck is going to turn if it has no turn signal...though he can see me standing there since the 2 cars in front of him did the same thing, and he keeps going. Traffic here annoys me. I think I´ll start a pedestrian-rights movement. However, with all the people on foot (walking 1 mph at best), the cars would never be able to go anywhere. Funny thing is, most of the people driving around town only needed to go 2 blocks, anyway (I walk a mile each way to work every day), but they drive to show that they own a car. Status symbol over exercise, I guess.

I suppose I´m done with my ranting for the evening. More to follow, I´m sure. :)

1 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 10 miles a day! Sounds like you deserve a lot of Chandi cheesecake--I wish I deserved some =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home