Adventures in Ecuador

The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Carnaval

I´ve decided that Carnaval is not a holiday, but a season that lasts for about a month, kind of like Christmas. The beauty of Christmas, though, is that no one throws water balloons at you in the street. I´m all about a good water fight (or flour, eggs, seasonings, corn starch, etc), as long as I´m dressed, prepared, equally armed, and a willing participant. Next weekend will probably involve those conditions, so my jóvenes better beware. People ask me why we don´t celebrate carnaval in the US. I tell them there are three reasons:
1. People don´t typically walk around in the streets (except in large cities and/or downtowns).
2. We would freeze to death. It´s February, for the love of God.
3. Someone would either sue you or shoot you for throwing a random water balloon at them.

Ooh, and a fourth I just thought of...employers would not typically give people 2-3 days off for a water fight.

I went to a bar the other night that had live music...they were playing American rock...when´s the last time you heard ¨Sweet Home Alabama¨ sung by an Ecuadorian? It was good fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home